Wednesday, June 22, 2022

My Birdies Beds

 My Birdies Beds have arrived!!  
So excited!!  After watching Epic Gardening videos and hearing that Kevin loves our Aussie product I was more than happy to purchase locally (well 3hrs away but that is still local in in Australia!)  



Birdies Garden Products This is the link for you to check out their range yourself.  They sell them in Australia and the U.S.  And now they sell them in the UK!  The material they are made from is nice and thick and they are so easy to assemble.  

So I will just share a few more pictures of my vegie patch(as we call it here in Australia.  We shorten most words add an IE or O to the end.  eg Steven becomes Stevo.  We love our nicknames over here).
These are from this year


The above photo is a pineapple top we cut off (bought from a local grower).  The pineapple is sweet and delicious and for the past couple of years we have planted all the tops.  Now I had an Agave plant in this pot.  It was getting very tall and was worried it would blow over and smash at some stage.  So I planted the top in it.  As well as bearing the fruit it can look like a succulent in my pot until then.  Both functional and decorative.  


These are my 3 little seed hot houses (one lid is on the floor at the bottom of the picture) I used to use this for propagating, but now it grows my vegie seeds.  Growing from seed is less costly and you can succession plant very easily, so as to not run out of goodies. The rack was a cheap pot plant holder I bought years ago when we first got married.  Is looking worse for wear now but still does the trick.


Making the most of all my space (even though we have 3 1/2 acres I like to keep pots on the concrete).  This is the pathway from the back laundry patio to our big 10 000 gallon concrete water tank.  Living out of town we have to provide our own water.  We also have 2 x 5 000 gallon tanks on the back of hubbies shed.  Between these it provides all our household water and whatever watering for the garden that is needed. I the pots above I have broccoli, tomatoes and radishes.  And you can see during the day I put my seedling trays in the sun for germination and growth. 


Again our 2.5m z 2.5m patch.  Freshly weeded and some good crops growing. 
There is lettuce, cucumber 9to climb up and shade the lettuce in the heat and allow sun for the beginning of winter.  Tomatoes, spring onions and not seen are Kale and Broccoli in the middle empty space. 


Now in our part of Queensland, our town is on a river that can flood.  We had 2 and a half floods at the beginning of the year (The 3rd one was not as high luckily) and it was the main reason I started growing again.  As most of the state went under and farmers could not even plant lettuce for a good while.  Prices were up to $10 a lettuce!  Crazy!  But since I started growing lettuce after the first flood we were saved having to pay such a high price.
Anyway that was a long way around to say when we had a downpour for a few days I put the Oztrail tent over the top to help stop my crops from drowning.  Even if the bed is raised slightly the water tends to sit in that corner.  Worked a real treat.  Lost nothing!  


Hahaha.  Me trying to be arty with my camera shot!  My first tomato flowers and fruit for the year with broccoli in the background.  Cannot say my photography skills will improve anytime soon but will try to do better....lol. 


Cucumbers!!


Yes my gorgeous cucumbers!  I planted 3 plants, from seed, which I have now learnt is way too many at once.  We had them coming out our ears.  I am sure we got over 40 good size fruits.  We ate some, gave some to family, gave some to hubbies fellow workers and even provided some for the staff BBQ at hubbies work.  Next time succession planting will help to alleviate this excess.  

A nice way to end this post.  From now I will be posting the building of the Birdie beds and what I plant in them.  Stay tuned!
Happy gardening!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Beans

 Yes it is bean day today.   The bean seedlings are ready to plant out.  The Purple Queen packet says they do not need staking but the green...