Monday, June 20, 2022

Welcome

 Welcome to my little patch of dirt.  

I have been inspired many times over the years to grow a vegetable garden.  And many times I have started then stopped.  Whether it be lack of motivation or lack of water (we are on tank water, no town water access) or a bit of both. 

Anyway, now, I am hoping to change all that.  I have been watching Kevin and his mate Jacques the Garden Gnome (as he is known) grow their own and keep things simple.  Their videos over at Epic Gardening are awesome.  A lot of popular plants are covered in specialized videos and are a great go to for trouble shooting or how to get started.  

I shall start off with a couple of gardens I have started, stopped or continued with over the years.  My biggest successes have been Green Minuette Lettuce and Cucumbers.  Wow do those Cucumber vines throw out a ton of fruit!

The next few pictures are from 2020.


In this garden I have lettuce at various stages of life and a big ol zucchini there in the middle at the back.  And some spring onions in the middle front.  The pots with stakes are tomato plants.  and the one in the front corner is a left over strawberry that didn't fit in the photo below.


I had put some half pots on the kids cubby house, as well as some hanging pots.  All with strawberries in them.  Varied success, but honestly it did come down to lack of watering and those pots do not hold enough moisture in summer. 


A picture of one of those beautiful green mignuette lettuces.  They are just such hardy growers here.  


Strawberry!!


And this was one of 2 capsicum plants (bell peppers to Americans).  I have them in 2 large pots either side of my garage.  They have a north facing position which means I can get them growing earlier and later in their growing  seasons as they don't get the chilly southern winds The bricks behind them, the post and the concrete of the driveway also get full sun in winter so that helps to keep the temperature warm for this plants.  I harvested about 12 capsicums off each one.  So that kept us going for a good while.  
And added bonus I grew these from seed.  The seen from a store bought one.  Free seed, free vegetables!
Thank you for reading my first blog post.  I will be sharing a few more in the past photo's and then sharing our setting up garden beds and loads more. 
Happy gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Beans

 Yes it is bean day today.   The bean seedlings are ready to plant out.  The Purple Queen packet says they do not need staking but the green...