Sunday, August 21, 2022

First plantings

 I decided today I would plant out the first crop in the garden.  

 I planted out the punnet of lettuce I bought while I wait for my seedlings to get big enough.  


The punnet I bought had 6 cells but I quickly eyeballed there were extra's in it so I dug 8 holes.  


Each seedling is plant with slow release fertiliser on the surface around it.  That way each time it is watered it gets a little extra nutrient. 


Then I had to dig another 4 holes as the punnet yielded 14 seedlings ( 2 didn;t have enough roots to worry about trying to plant them out).  Then the next 4 holes were for seedlings I had from previous seeds I had planted. I marked these with white garden labels so I did not loose them in the mulch.


Recovered around the seedlings and watered them in.  Time will tell how many survive.  Still doing alright to get 12 out of a 6 cell.  Win!!


Hard to see, but between the 2 star pickets I have planted 3 tomato plants. I am going to have a go at the Florida Weave technique rather than staking them.  It is a technique I have never done before, but want to give it a go. 


Bed No.1 planted (for now).  Will try and take weekly photo's for progress and my own recordings.  
Until next week,
Happy gardening!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Beans

 Yes it is bean day today.   The bean seedlings are ready to plant out.  The Purple Queen packet says they do not need staking but the green...